Tuesday, August 24, 2010

LOSS

The type of clientell that my restaurant attracts seems to be mainly the older affluent generation. I do quite enjoy them for they usually are very savvy with their food and wine knowledge. I also find them pleasurable to speak to for they always have a golden advice or two for me and my business.
A particular gentleman guest of mine after his lunch today with his daughter insisted in getting up to pay at the cash register as to deter his daughter from paying. He thanked me for my service and promised that he would come back again as soon as he gets the chance to. I thanked him profusely and the swiped his credit card through my eftpos machine .
For a reason or another his card came up as declined . I was embarassed that this occured and i offered to re swipe his card again explaining that sometimes my machine needs to log on first to the bank and i'm sure that my facilities is probably at fault.
He then said to me" No, actually i have been having problems with my acounts lately. My wife died about three weeks ago and i cancelled her accounts but the banks seem to have cancelled mine as well."
I suppose i don't really get that much frankness from guests that i did not know how to react nor what to say. I said" I"m sorry sir. Are you ok?" He then said"Yes i am.Thank you". I saw that his eyes has gone all teary and i found myself hurting with him.
"How long were you married for?" i asked."Since the 1950's "says he. " You know what i miss the most is the fights that we use to have." He then gave me that embarassed laugh that boys give each other when we show any form of vulnerability.
At this point his credit card finally came through and his transaction has been approved much to my relief. Again i thanked him, refused his tip and then tried to buy him a drink but he refused as well.
I kept thinking about that the whole day. The fights is what he misses the most. I think about my wife and i and some of those fights that we have are really epic. I don't know whether i will miss the fights but i sure can not fathom an existence with out my wife.
Sir, I wish i had more comforting words for you. I wish i had a word or two to ease your pain , I wish we met at better times but most of all i wish i said that i wish you well.

No comments:

Post a Comment